From:
Al Hidell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:47:14 EST
I don't know if a software driver can damage hardware, but after installing
Microsoft's nVidia GeForce driver "Update" for my PCI GeForce 2MX, I started
seeing green lines, weird colors, and finally a black screen (including no
text being displayed at bootup). Beep code was One Long, Three Short, which
according to my Asus motherboard manual means problem with video circuitry or
video memory.
I tried hooking up another monitor, and it also produced a black screen, so I
don't think it's the monitor. I also made sure the memory module was
installed correctly.
I replaced my PCI GeForce 2 with a new AGP GeForce 4, but the problem
continued, including the same error beeps! Even if the driver change somehow
fried my GeForce 2, a new card in a new slot should have worked, right??
Could the problem be on the motherboard, despite the error code?
I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have! Thanks.

Al Hidell
PARANOIA: The Conspiracy Reader
PO Box 1041
Providence, RI 02901-1041