BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Store owner in Olympia: "Albanians say 'Hungry bear do not dance.'"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:46:48 +1000
Steve

> So, is it safe to say that this is characteristic of
> Carrara marble, or has anyone seen this bending in
> other marble?

Not all Carrara marble will bend.  Just don't ask me
which ones do!!

Not all crystalline marbles bend.  But there are
certainly others that do.  In Australia, I'm aware of
Ulam marble bending, but Angaston marble doesn't.
Wombeyan marble doesn't typically bend, but it is
capable of it.  In terms of American stones, it is
harder for me to comment because I don't have the
experience with them.  Danby will, I think, bend, but
doesn't typically.  Answer is to walk around
graveyards looking.

I believe that grainsize is fairly important ...
Carrara is quite fine-grained, whereas marbles that
don't bend tend to be coarser grained.

The key issue is that of all the stones that are sold
as marble, only a very few are truly crystalline
marble (Erhard Winkler is very pedantic on this
issue).  Most commercial 'marbles' are in fact dense
limestones, some of which are so heavily metamorphosed
that they are approaching marble, but they haven't
actually got there yet!  See my other email on this to
follow.

Cheers

david

http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au Auctions