BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"Think about it: do you really __want__ Face.Recognition.Software?" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:17:19 -0500
7bit
From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Actually the hay mow is where you put the hay stack. Usually to one or both
sides of the threshing floor which is directly inside the barn doors. The
confusion is in differentiating hay from straw. Hay is something you grow to
feed horses and other lucky farm animals. They eat the whole plant. Straw is
what you have left after you thresh wheat or oats, so typically the straw
"pile" ended up outside in the back of the barn where it was forked in
pre-threshing machine days, and blown when the thresher came along.

Some well to do farmers would build a straw shed off the back of the barn to
keep the straw pile covered and dry. Straw is good bedding and low quallity
feed. So a "roll in the hay" usually meant you were discreet enough to drop
trow in the barn. Besides...straw is scratchy stuff.

Midwest reality checker.

Rudy