From:
Michelle Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:21:40 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about my 23 month-old son's
positive IgA and IgG and negative biopsy.  I really appreciate all the

A lot of people suggested getting a second opinion from another doctor
whether I travel to find one or ask for a screening from Dr. Allesio
Fasano at the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, Dr.
Stefano Guandalini from the University of Chicago (head of pediatric
Gastroenterolgy), or Dr. Fine.

 It was suggested that doctors don't know everything and tests are imperfect
so I should try a gluten-free diet and see if he improves.

Another suggestion on why the biopsy would be negative is because he hasn't
had the years of damage yet.

I had one person say she has a positive IgG and IgA and has chronic Fatigue
Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.

I was also told that biopsies before age two are very frequently negative
and often doctors do not take enough biopsies in enough areas as the damage
is patchy and not all over.  Also the pathology lab may not familiar at
diagnosing Celiac.

A suggestion to help with weight was to give him Pediasure (The writer said
it is lactose and gluten free but it does contain casein and causes my son
to get sick.)  It is a great suggestion if the child can drink it though.

It was suggested that he may be gluten intolerant and not yet have developed
celiac

Another person stated that any advice or information I get from this list
service cannot and should not be used to make medical decisions.  I
understand doctors should answer medical questions but since they were not
going to anything further, just wait, I was looking for suggestions in what
I could ask the doctors to look for now.

It was also suggested that the blood tests are very unreliable and so may be
a false positive yet other information said there are often false negatives
but it is very rare to have a false positive.

I was asked where I live.  I live in Utah.

Thanks everyone.