Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:49:14 +1100
You may improve the processing. Here is what we did at work.

To get a universal pre-install image of win98SE:
run the MS pre-install kit (should come from your win98 package, one in
every box), create an image, but right after the first reboot (after copying
files process, before win98 detect hardware), break it (turn the machine
off), copy (ghost) the half done image to a CD. Now you should have a
pre-installation CD that does not contain any hardware configuration
(because windows hasn't done it yet).
whenever you need to pre-install win98, just ghost the image to hard drive,
and it should start from the point that detect PnP hardware, none PnP,
install windows components, start menu items ...

after you tested everything, just remove all test software, and click
"shutdown" to clean audit session.

pre-install NT4 and win2k is nightmare.

however, pre-install winXP is so far the best thing MS every done, very
simple, just setup XP pre-install tool, and build the image on a machine on
LAN, it will create a floppy disk that contain info (needed for pre-install,
eg. location of machine that contains the image, configuration set, it is
only a 1.8k file), and just boot new PC from XP pre-install tool kit CD,
make sure the floppy disk is in (best way to do it, is to change to boot
from CD first, HDD 2nd, floppy 3rd), and a XP build-in supportted NIC is
installed (linked to LAN). turn on the machine - job done!

Jun Qian