From:
Jimmy DaPea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:32:21 EST
I converted the FAt that my WinXP was originally on into NTFS, and have had
no problems since then. I did have on problem when I had FAT, with some
hidden hardware error (computer suddenly shut down, then came back on and
said that I had new hardware), but I don't think that was due to the FAt sile
system. I just wanted to say that to convert a partition with your current OS
to NTFS doesn't pose any problems, especially with winXP since they hold your
hand all the way.

Here are windows's instructions to converting to NTFS:

<<
To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
1.    Open <A HREF="ms-its:C:%5CWINDOWS%5CHelp%5Cmisc.chm::%2FEXEC=ConsoleWindowClass,cmd.exe,,%20CHM=ntshared.chm%20FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm">Command Prompt</A>.
2.    In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfsFor
example,
       typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes
To open command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to
Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert <A HREF="ms-its:HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_file_allocation_table">FAT</A> or <A HREF="ms-its:HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_fat32">FAT32</A> volumes to <A HREF="ms-its:HELP=glossary.hlp%20TOPIC=gls_ntfs">NTFS</A> with this command.

After you try to convert it from the command promp within windows, it says it
cant beause the drive is in use, or soemthing like that, and asks if you want
to convert the next time you restart, select yes, and I think it will ask you
to restart now or later. The next time you restart, you wont have to do a
thing, and you can just sit there and stare at the screen readouts for about
5 seconds, then windows will start up and everything will be fine, hopefully.
I haven't had any hardware errors, crashes, errors, system slowdowns( dont
know the technical name for this) of any kind for about 2 months now, and I
have an eMachines 333id with all the hardware it came with, and just about
168 MB of RAM.

Jimmy DeLinco
(eglagune@aol)

                     visit our download web page at: