From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:43:53 -0700
Hello all,

I have a Pentium III 933 system that stopped booting this morning. It
powers up and all of the peripherals (hard drives, CD-ROMs, DVD player,
etc) spin up and go through their power-on cycles. The CPU fan is
running. The power and hard drive lights come on. The LED on the
motherboard (Abit SA-6R) is on. In fact, it seems to be perfectly normal
in that I can turn it on and off with the power button, but it won't
actually boot. No beeps, no warnings, nothing.

What led up to this over the past couple of days is that the computer
would spontaneously reboot. It didn't matter whether or not there was a
lot of hard drive activity, cpu activity or if it was just sitting
there. Sometimes it would reboot after three or four hours, sometimes
within a few minutes.

So far, I've tried removing all of the cards except the video card. I've
tried a different video card. I've replaced the power supply. I've
unplugged every peripheral except for video. I've tried different
memory. I've cleared the CMOS. About the only thing that I haven't done
is replace the motherboard and CPU (I don't have any extras of those).

I'm afraid that it's either the board or the CPU. At this point, I'm not
sure which it could be, but I'd sure welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group