BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Svantevit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Svantevit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:07:23 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, November 26, 1997 5:33 AM
Subject: Re: PTN, Post & Beam, G & E

>[...] There is some reason to believe that the masterbuilder on the
>site was a German, though more likely a Huguenot. And, there's another
>building I'm involved in which might be in keeping with German practice.
>Maybe, Polish P&B has affinities with the German? Witold?
>
>Bruce

In the area I came from, called Western Pomerania most of the preserved
architectural landmarks has a German origin. The territory settled by native
Pomeranian tribes from XI century was in Polish, Swedish, and Prussian hands
through last 1000 years. After all it is the Europe of the craftmans
traveling with their craft often far beyond of their home places. One of the
polish kings invited group of windmill builders from Netherlands to the area
near Gdansk - now imagine the researcher without this historical fact
knowledge trying to figure out XVII century way of building in some small
village in Gdansk vicinity.
If you don't mind send the file as an attachment, can be in Tiff. JPEG or
GIF format. We are going to Poland to the Antikon '97 restoration show on
Monday and we will have the chance to talk to the conservators over there.

Witold