From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:14:42 -0800
On 15 Mar 2002, at 20:15, Debbie wrote:

> >   On the other hand, from the info in your message so far, we don't
> > even know if you've got the right protocol(s) installed or have them
> > configured correctly.  Cna you give us a run-down on what the
> > networking configuration on each of these boxes looks like?
> >
> > David Gillett
> >

> Both machines have Client for Microsoft Networks, Microsoft Family
> Logon, D-Link PCI Adapter, Dial-Up Adapter, Internet Connection
> Sharing, NetBEUI, TCP/IP, and File and Printer Sharing.  I
> installed ICS on the main machine, and it prompted me to insert a
> floppy and copy an ICS file to install on the secondary machine.  I
> read on the Windows ICS webpage that I should go into TCP/IP and
> assign an IP address to both machines, so I have assigned the main
> computer 192.168.0.1 and the secondary computer 192.168.0.2 .
>
> The machines are each seeing themselves on the network, but not
> the other. I still am not getting a green light on one of the NIC
> cards, so it may be bad.
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  If anyone thinks it
> would be more appropriate to continue corresponding about this
> privately so as not to tie up the list, feel free.
>
> Thanks,
> Debbie Alspaugh

  My inclination would be to uninstall NetBEUI -- at this point, it
can only confuse things by possibly making some things appear to work
that actually still need fixing.

  Note that IP addresses refer to *interfaces*, not to machines.
Make sure that on the 192.168.0.1 machine, the NIC you've assigned
that address to is the one the crossover cable is plugged into.
(Tip:  When I build a machine with multiple NICs, I like to use
different brands/models for each, so that I know that a given driver
and configuration goes with a specific connector on the back of the
machine.  If you have several the same, it's easy for you to think of
them one way while Windows assigns them another....)

  Can you ping 192.168.0.1 from 192,168.0.2, and vice-versa?  Do you
see activity lights flashing on the NICs when you try?

  Also -- you've told us what addresses you're assigning, but not
what netmasks....

Dave Gillett