From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:27:22 -0800
NT 4 can use FAT partitions or NTFS. With NTFS you have no problem with
large hard disks, but FAT has a limit. When you first install NT, it
first creates a FAT partition and then converts it to NTFS. To support
large partitions, you need to create and format an NTFS partition BEFORE
installing NT! Of course, this is a bit of a problem since you don't
already have NT running. To solve this problem, try partitioning your
hard drive into two 15GB partitions. Temporarily install NT to the
second partition with a minimal system - no networking or options
selected. It will likely create the 2GB partition that you already
experienced. After you boot this new installation, run disk manager and
create an NTFS partition on the first partition of your drive. Format it
to NTFS. Then go through the NT install process once more, but this time
select the first 15GB partition as the destination. Tell NT to leave the
current NTFS partition as is. After the new installation, boot it and
get rid of the temporary one. You can then use disk manager to change
the old partition to a 15GB NTFS partition.

I believe that what I have described is correct. Perhaps others may
correct any errors.

Peter
Peter Shkabara - Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - 11600 Columbia College Drive - Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 588-5156 - [log in to unmask] - http://gocolumbia.org/pesh