From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:25:26 -0500
On Sunday 10 March 2002 12:12 pm, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:57:19 -0500 joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
>
> writes:
> > You used to be able to do that with Win 98, but they killed that
> > loophole in Win Me.  I am fairly certain that with Win XP you can
> > only do an upgrade with the upgrade version.
> >
> > >It has been advised, for best results, particularly with WinXP,
> >
> > format, and do clean install of new OS, rather than install upgrade
> > over the top. What if have upgrade version, to save money; format,
> > and do clean install?
>
> The question then is, install upgrade over the top, or format, and do
> clean install of earlier version, and then install upgrade? It is
> reportedly safest to format and clean install XP, but full version of XP
> is about $100 higher than upgrade.
>
> Demetri Kolokotronis

Demetri:
My strategy would be something like this:
1. Upgrade your current installation and go through the registration process.
2. Use it a while and see what you like and what you don't.
3. Backup as required.
4. Wipe clean, and do a clean install. You may have to go through the
registration process a second time. (I'm assuming, of course, that the MS
license does permit a clean installation for perfectly legitimate reasons,
such as a hard drive failure.)
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                     visit our download web page at: