From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:17:32 -0800
Hi Mark,

It shouldn't be a problem opening the device.  What you find when you get in
will be key to whether or not you can solve the problem.  However, from your
description, it sounds like the device will have a separate speaker, so you
should be able to just snip the wire from the speaker and be good to go.
You just need to be careful and remember exactly where the pieces go when
taking it apart.

There is a possibility that the speaker is on the board itself like internal
modems.  I know I'll probably catch a lot of flak for telling you to do
this, but I have actually stuffed silly puddy or clay into the hole of these
little speakers (they look like a squat cylinder with a hole in the top) in
order to make them quit working.  This was done partially out of laziness
because I didn't want to de-solder the speaker, but I wouldn't get a
soldering iron close to it unless you really know what you are doing.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"