From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:29:19 -0500
Is it possible for two computers to connect to the internet through a third
computer that is using a modem? Yes.  When you configure Internet Explorer,
have you ever noticed the options for using a proxy server?  This is what
you need. I think the granddaddy was WinGate, it was available back when I
was using NT 3.5, I prefer WinProxy but its not for a newbie, the
programmers speak only Czech! so the tech support is minimal. The features
of proxy servers differ a lot and the versions come and go, so I would check
around.  WinProxy runs on win95 or later, can handle and sort email, and any
network node can force it to dial just by requesting a web address. It
requires IP protocol but it will work on a peer network that doesn't have a
server, and you don't need a firewall because the outside world can't see
your local ip addresses. (This presents something of a problem for some
sites that attempt to automatically update your licensed software, like my
virus scanner.)  I would search on the web for proxy server or wingate.
There are sites devoted to home networking that don't involve routers, the
boxes high speed users have for connecting their home network to cable or
dsl.  There is probably a whole new crop of offerings out there since I
chose WinProxy, so do a little searching.  Lots of this stuff is cheap,
WinProxy is very inexpensive but has a steep learning curve.
Tom Turak