From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:05:45 -0600
> I find the HIT protocal lends itself to those with limited time.
Check out the HIT FAQ at http://www.cyberpump.com/training/hitfaq/

Michael, I could not agree more.  Jane's post came at a strange time, because I
had just put together the following post and was about to send it:

Exercise:  I am a firm believer in high intensity weight training as developed
by Nautilus pioneer Arthur Jones in the early '70s.  An early but informative
article can be found at: http://www.cyberpump.com/training/arthur/art25.html.
(I have other links for those interested).  I work out no more than twenty
minutes a session, twice a week, full body.  The results have been astonishing!
My strength has increased dramatically, but even more impressive is the fact
that my CARDIOVASCULAR fitness has likewise been phenomenal despite the fact
that I am using weights.   On Thanksgiving Day, I ran the 8 mile Turkey Trot
here in Dallas with no training.  None.  Drives my friends who are runners
absolutely nuts.  I've wondered how paleo this type of workout is.  Were hunters
in the habit of pursuing game (or dragging killed game back to camp) in a high
intensity manner a couple of times a week?  Interesting.

Diet: Variety of meats (sausage, fish, chicken, flank steak, etc.).  I pay zero
attention to fat content, but try instead to go by my appetite for fat.  Nuts
(pecans, almonds, almond butter, among others).  For fruits, I try to stay away
from dried fruit.  I like pears, plums, oranges, berries.  I pay no attention to
carb or calorie counting at all.  As Ray says, most calories should come from
lean meats, nuts, seeds, and oil.  I really try to listen to my body.  The key
for me is NEVER to cheat so that I get the appropriate signals as to what I
should be eating.  I crave nothing outside the diet.  Really.  Oh, and I drink a
cup or two of green tea per day.  Just got some silver needles white tea as a
gift.  It's superb!  And I use olive oil quite a bit.

Fasting:  I fast once a year for at least three days and twice a year for a
weekend.  It has had an enormous effect on me.

Jim Swayze