BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MDierickx <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:40:06 EDT
Ken writes about modern machine-made ornamentation -

There were great advances (craftpersons would probably object to that word) in
the manufacture of architectural ornamentation in the later 19th century.
Cast iron ornament, terra cotta ornament,  and  decorative stamped sheet metal
made it possible for people to have highly ornamented buildings when they
could not afford artisans or where artisans were not available.  We all know
that this trend has continued through the 20th century, with computers now
allowing more complex machine-made architectural elements.  But it's funny to
see that we have also gone the other way, away from technology.  For example,
terra cotta ornament that is damaged or missing has been replaced on some
projects with cementitious material that has not been cast from molds but has
been hand worked (carved?) on site. I have also seen this done with missing or
damaged brownstone ornament.  It reminds me of the Mad Max movies where
society has lost technology and machines are used in strange, primitive ways.
At least in the movies this happens after some cataclysm.  In New York City,
at least,  the return to primitive ways is occasioned by budget.
Mary Dierickx, NYC