BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:34:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/3/98 9:06:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> All the owners, generals, field managers, coop presidents, etc., etc.,
>  etc. are calling at the same time needing God only knows what RIGHT NOW.
> The grass is always greener.......

I give, I give, I'm an office worker! I was NOT complaining about architects,
architectural conservators, or engineers, Honest! I was complaining about slow
people. I've encountered plenty of slow people on the construction site, and
am usually persuaded to fire them. A recent problem on a project was a non-
associated carpenter using our scaffolding had guys that liked to get up on
the rig and then sit down and watch the day go buy. Unfortunately I kept
getting calls from "friends" saying that our employees were sitting down on
the job. I think the slowest mode is sleeping, and I have been known to do
that on some projects where there were lulls in the action. Finding a place to
sleep where 1) the boss will not go, 2) you do not fall off the side of the
building and 3) you are not endangered by copperheads can be a challenge and
takes a certain amount of skill. Possibly office workers appear to move more
slowly, pacing themselves, because they cannot escape to refresh themselves.
Construction workers, I think, being barked at fairly often, learn to always
look busy even when they are not -- thus the plethora of union guys standing
around the field trailer busily hoisting paper cups of wine actually look like
they are problem solvers.

][<en