From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 21:19:54 -0500
On Tuesday 19 February 2002 09:08 am, you wrote:
> I've tried it both ways - installing from the original Windows98se CD after
> booting up with a Windows98 startup disk; and copying the files in win98 to
> the HD (which is 540mb) to install from there.
> I've also checked for viruses from a floppy and there aren't any. Windows
> would not install completely even after I removed all the cards (except the
> video card of course).
> I CAN get into Safe Mode - does this help?
>
> Julie

Julie:
The problem may be the 540 mb capacity of your hard drive. According to the
the Win98SE upgrade package, "Typical installation requires approximately 205
MB of available hard disk space, (includes 45 MB average for backup files
during installation) but may range between 140 MB and 315 MB (includes 75 MB
for backup files during installation), depending upon system configuration
and options selected." I expect that the requirements for a full installation
are in the same ball park. My concern is that copying the installation CD to
the hard drive doesn't leave you with sufficient space -- evidently you're
close, though, because the straw that is breaking this camel's back seems to
be the additional space that Windows needs to build the driver database.

Have you checked the HD free space? (Boot into DOS mode and run dir c:) If
the drive is pretty much full, the fix might be to erase the hard drive, and
start over again, but this time select "minimal" rather than "typical". If
that is successful, you can add the missing programs later.

HTH,
Carroll Grigsby

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com