From:
Rand Blunck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:49:37 -0500
My father-in-law's box is a bare-bones system w/ Via KT-133 chipset w/
on-board Avance AC sound run by a 800 MHz Duron.  The sound driver is up to date from VIA.  He connects to the Internet with a Cisco 605 DSL modem, which dials and connects okay.  He is working with the original US West DSL drivers.

The problem is that his sound, which functions fine at startup, goes away
once the DSL connection is made through the connectoid.  Windows 98SE still
thinks it is working, as the button under the Sound & MM applet is black and
it takes time to play each wav file selected.  There are no conflicts in the device manager after the sound stops.  If I change the automatic I/O
address resources for the sound wave device, the sound will come back!  But
upon reboot, the same problem occurs even with the new I/O addresses.  I'm
thinking the only way to solve it is to disable the motherboard sound and
install a new sound card.  I'd hate to go through that only to have it happen to the new card too, though...  Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks for the help - Rand Blunck

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com