Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:33:01 -0800
Todd Moody wrote:

>The main problems associated with low cholesterol are depression,
suicide, and violent death.<

Here's a news item on the "large Finnish study" that looked at such issues:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_435000/435305.stm

There's an interesting line in that article. It says researchers "believe
depression may lower blood cholesterol levels, leading to a chemical
reaction which allows aggressive instincts free rein."

I wonder what in evolutionary terms this might've tended to mean (if
anything)? Did low cholesterol indicate an urgent need for food, hence all
the stops were pulled out of the aggression circuits? (It may be not nearly
as simple as that I realize, but it was at least an intriguing phrase.)

I do have some mild cause/effect concerns about the study, but nothing
earthshaking.

CB