BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:42:38 -0500
From: Met History
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 8:20 AM
Subject: Rusty tools....

So, oh handy-persons, I have just returned from exclusive (80,000+ persons)
Martha's Vineyard, international center for research on water penetration
through porch screens.

Inspecting my plastic toolbox, tightly sealed since August, I find that most
of my tools are getting rusty.   How, really, should I store them, in a
humid environment.

Sign me,  My Daughter Made This The Default Font and I Can't Turn It Off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear MetHistory,

I see from later messages that you did indeed change either the font or the
format; congratulations on that one -- if you're like I am, learning thru
doing is the best...

And, I had wondered if .html mail caused other people the problems it's
caused me whilst I was confined to my DOS dinosaur over the last month, so I
shall endeavour to post in plain text from now on. Thank you for raising
this issue, COD.

So what's the verdict on the water repellancy of the screens treated with
(brand name beginning with T deleted) water-seal?  I was particularly
interested in that project, did you ever get to it?

Re: tool storage in humid environment -- first of all, before you seal them
in the rubbermaid tool box (it IS rubbermaid, RIGHT??) they have to be
completely dry...  and before leaving our michigan abode for the year, in
what seems like a distant, distant past, we used to preheat the oven to
"warm" and put all our stuff that was to be sealed in plastic in there for a
few minutes to dry it out, then we packed it immediately. We did this with
food stuffs, linens, etc, but also our small supply of hand tools.

As far as what to coat them with, I'll probably get booed out of the lobby,
but what's the matter with WD-40? (my buddy and I actually use a remington
product that is similar, but WD-40 has attained generic status at this
point, like xerox or band-aid...)  I use WD-40 to clean most of my tools and
other implements of construction and destruction, and it is a heck of a lot
less of a mess to deal with than 3 in 1 or vaseline... and seems to offer
good protection.

I have often used vegetable oil and Pam spray as well, usually in a pinch or
on kitchen type implements (knives, tin graters, etc), with good results on
tools that are used often. But for long term storage the natural oils seem
to degrade and sort of harden into a sticky rancid sort of gooey finish that
is hard to get off and smears all over.

One note of caution about petroleum based products of any kind -- you have
to be careful if you are storing them in a confined area with cordage or
lines (rope) made of synthetics, as they degrade the fibers and decrease the
strength of the rope.  Not something you want to find out whilst you or
heavy pieces of equipment are suspended somewhere more that a foot or so
above terra firma.  (Lead acid batteries are even worse for degrading rope,
also, just FYI...)

best from deb