From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:50:30 -0500
Hi Bill:

Actually, I was the fortunate recipient (the first one, anyway) of
your soldering articles from Mike Garrett and passed them on to others
interested just as I got them myself. I've been a ham for 14 years
myself, and (referring to Mike's message to the blind-hams list,
below) would *love* to see a revival, or a new, electronics magazine
with projects within reach of interested blind hobbyists to
build. That was a horrible sentence, but you know what I mean. About
the closest we get is QST, and I'm not really sure how accurately the
narrators read the diagrams and things, not to mention having braille
to follow would be much better than having to listen to something. In
any case, count me interested, if you're counting that sort of
thing. I saw an article about you and your partner-in-crime recently
and realize you're a busy fellow, but having a magazine with
interesting stuff like this would be of interest to many of us, IMO.

----- Forwarded message from Michael Garrett <[log in to unmask]> -----

To: [log in to unmask]

Below is e-mail I sent to Bill Gerry, Editor of the Smith-Kettlewell
Technical File along with his reply.

In view of his response, I would be glad to send his series on soldering, in
the form of a zipped e-mail attachment, to anyone who wants it.

The Technical File had many fine articles on other aspects of electronics,
as well, from building projects to test equipment to component data. I think
it would be great if Bill got enough positive feedback to encourage him or
someone to revive that publication.

73. Mike, K9AZS
-----
From: "Michael Garrett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Your articles on soldering
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 11:14 AM

        Mr. Gerrey,
I was a subscriber to the Technical File and I value the information and
especially the adaptive techniques you provided in that magazine.

There is currently some interest on the Blind-hams mailing list about the
subject of soldering by blind people. I had transcribed your series on
soldering into ASCII text for my own use, and I sent the files concerning
soldering to one of the list members. Then, I started to wonder if I was
violating some copyright provisions or if I  perhaps shouldn't have been so
free with your material.

So the question is: Is it okay to disseminate this material to others? If
not, what should I recommend to interested people.

The articles are, of course, attributed to you and the SKTF, but I don't
want to misuse your efforts.

Thanks. 73.

Mike Garrett, K9AZS

From: "Bill Gerrey" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Your articles on soldering
Date: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 2:42 PM

Yes, by all means.  I made it a point not to copyright any of my
writings; they do no good hidden behind restrictions in distribution.

I only ask that SKTF be shown, mostly to promote interest in its
continuence.

Good luck, and the same to all who might benefit from our work.

Bill Gerrey, Editor
Smith-Kettlewell Technical File