From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 11:22:43 +1300
All too often I see an interesting question posed, I see interesting
discussions and opinions, and then I am then frustrated by never knowing
the definitive answer.

With this in mind I would like to thank everybody who helped solve my
little problem, - it seems that I'm not the only one to be confused !

It really all started with the recent Maxtor/Quantum/merger/take-over
and the ambiguous information given. I confused myself further by using
an old Quantum bookmark; - the Maxtor website is much better and does
give the information once you've drilled down deep enough.

In summary :  When using ATA drives, Cable Select must be used to define
master and slave using the 80 wire/40 pin data cable. CS is the middle
jumper, or jumper 3, - counting the single pin next to the data cable as
1 of 5. This is true of both Quantum and Maxtor.
At least this is my understanding and the method I propose to use.

Eventually I will have to add my old IDE drive to copy my files over, so
presumably as secondary master, given CD-RW and CD-ROM on the EIDE
primary channel ?
Never mind, I anticipate a problem or two, - so I'll cross that bridge
when I come to it.

Thanks again, you're a great bunch of people.I can only repay your help
by helping others if I can.

Kevin,
New Zealand.