From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:38:26 -0400
> Todd:
>
> > It's important to understand that the main point of Cordain's
> > argument is that most of the high-fat foods available to us today
> > differ from paleolithic high-fat foods in the *composition* of
> > the fats.

>Kirt:
> Yet, Loren says that the fat from grass-fed ruminants should be trimmed as
> well. And essentially be substituted with plant fat. It just doesn't make
> sense to me. What am I missing?

Yes, this is problematic for me too. I understand that the fat composition
of feedlot animals is different because they are fed lots of corn and
similar grains.

But how can you get a high amount of fat percentage in your diet if you eat
lean meats?

You will have to get PUFAs and MUFA and it will most likely be grossly
imbalanced, not enough omega 3 fatty acids. If you eat the fat on the grass
fed animal, this is not a problem I would think as the fatty acid
composition would include all the "good" fats and therefore would be fine.

If you can't afford grass fed animal meat, then you will have to approximate
eating grass fed animals. I would think this means eating what you can
afford, and then supplementing with flaxseed oil, fish oil, etc. It is only
my opinion that you are miles ahead of SAD even then. But eating Cordain's
way with factory animal meat would lead to an imbalance in PUFAs.

--Richard