From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 16:05:55 -0400
> I eat generous amounts of kale, collards, mustard and turnip greens.
Unlike
> spinach, chard, and beet greens, they do  not contain oxalic acid.  They
are
> rich in calcium, vitamin C, betacarotene, magnesium, potassium, iron, and
> folic acid. One cooked cup contains as much vit. C as an an orange.  They
> are delicious sauteed with onions, herbs or spices, then simmered with a
> little broth or stock.  Other good bets include Brussels sprouts, which
are
> leafy greens that are more condensed, folded in on themselves.  They are
in
> the cruciferous family with cabbage.

Don't forget cabbage itself. Bok choy, Napa cabbage, white and red cabbage.
Cooked cabbage has a bad reputation which is entirely undeserved. I know
this isn't the paleorecipe list, but I think this post is appropriate.

For bok choy, I find splitting, washing, then steaming in a closed pot with
a little water works best. For baby bok choy, splitting and sauteeing in oil
may be enough.

Cabbage can be eaten raw, shredded, as what we know as cole slaw. There are
a million varieties of cole slaw. They are easy to prepare and keep for 3 or
4 days. You could add flaxseed oil to the dressing and have a balanced oil
dressing.  Or you could add ground up flaxseeds I suppose.

I like the following way of preparing cabbage cooked (stolen from James
Beard American Cookery):

Heat oil in a big wok or dutch oven on the stove. Put heat to high, then put
in shredded cabbage and toss like a salad for a minute or two until the
pieces start to show a little browning. Then, add your favorite cooking
liquid (red wine is great), not enough so that the cabbage is swimming,
generally a cup or so. Let it boil for a few minutes uncovered, then cover,
put on medium low, and cook until done.

Variations:
Cooked cabbage can be flavored with sliced fresh apples. You can brown the
apples first or toss them in the above recipe with the wine and they will
cook.

You could add a teaspoon or two or maple syrup or honey with the wine. If
you do, try adding a teaspoon or so of natural, unfiltered cider vinegar or
if you don't use vinegar add some lemon juice. The sweet and sour is a great
flavor with cabbage.

Or, flavor by adding some crushed some juniper seeds, about 4 - 10 depending
upon how much cabbage you are making. Or, use some toasted cumin seeds which
is great with cabbage.

Instead of juniper, if you have gin around the house, add some of that and
let the alcohol evaporate. Gin is typically paleo except for the alcohol.

--Richard