From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:47:42 +0900
Sorry do not know anything special, but I remember what we did in
sports when this happened.  These things can be very bad, slow and
difficult to heal. Your best advice is to stress it as little as
possible. Hard while traveling as you will be. Ice packs are the
traditional remedy in the early stage. After the initial swelling is
down and healing has started use warm pads, but any time it swells or
starts to hurt again return to ice packs. Be very careful when using
ice not to freeze the skin, believe me it happens. Use wet towels
around the ice to keep the temperature high enough to prevent
freezing. In the college sports clinic I used to visit they used an
ice bath, a big tub knee deep with ground ice and water. I soaked my
foot in that 15 minutes every day for an injury.

At least until this trip is over I strongly suggest using whatever
drugs the Doc gives you. He will give pain killers, inflammation
fighters, possibly steroids to speed healing, maybe others. Steroids
get a bad rap, and have serious drawbacks if overused, but they do
speed healing.

Take a foot wrap or brace with you on the plane. If the Doc does not
give you one you can get them at any sports store. On the plane wrap
it well so it can not move at all. You might want to consider buying a
basketball shoe, the high top kind in a size 18 (37-8 CM) to wear over
the wrap. Unfortunately they do not sell single shoes .

Aspirin is the traditional medicine for this kind of thing, but may
not be potent enough for the stress of traveling. If you were not
traveling I would suggest just the ice bath and aspirin at first,
followed by very slow and gentle stretching as it healed. As it is you
probably do not have any good options.