NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E.J. Mumaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:10:09 EST
I have been through both reactions from other parents too.  I so appreciate
the ones that want to help.  Unfortunately my experience has been more with
the ones worried about their kids doing without.

I even ran into one Mom that claimed her kids had celiac, but she 'would
never' ask for accommodations........as if it would be something shameful.
She also informed me (as if I was completely dense) that her pediatrician had
told her that ALL children out grew milk allergies by the age of 3.  I calmly
told her that her children's Dr had not kept up with current medical research
and that she should reconsider intrusting her children's health care to
someone so lacking in current medical knowledge.  It took all I had to keep
smiling, keep my voice even and not smack the daylights out of her.  This Mom
was a parent in one of my non allergic daughters classrooms.  Since I was the
room Mom I never did seem to find anything else I needed her to do for school
parties that year.  I don't think I could have held it together to have
another conversation with her.  Its when school staff has this type of
attitude that our children aren't safe.  It is this kind of attitude I ran
into in the first school district we lived in.  I never would have felt that
my son's life was safe in that school.

E.J.