NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:07:33 -0400
just my own $.02, but when it comes to food allergies, i don't think there's such a thing as too careful. along those lines, there was a great article in the 6/10/2001 New York Times Magazine ¯ well worth the $5 or whatever they charge for archived articles. scared the living daylights out of my friends & relatives, bc they finally GOT my "paranoia" & caution. plus, i know that the more anal & cautious i am, the healthier my daughter (dana, age 3) will be AND the more likely/quicker she may outgrow her allergies.

that being said, i think the most helpful thing for me has been to become as incredibly well educated about this (food allergies-dairy allergies-dairy) as i could...& well educated enough now to realize that my 1st 2 allergists were probably much more knowledgeable about asthma & general allergies than food allergies per se.

luckily, i've found a good gastroenterologist & allergist who are also board-certified pediatricians who think systemically (that is, outside their own disciplines) about the "whole child" ¯ i've learned for example, about IgE vs. IgG mediated food allergies / intolerances vs. lactose intolerance as well as gastroenterologic-specific vs. more global reactions to foods.... and, just as importantly, these are MD's who realize that NOBODY knows my child better than me; they've taken what i've observed about her behavior, & foods, etc at face value & tried to match it up w/ what they know. SO, 2 more "most helpful" things i've learned/do is to keep good notes (diary-like log) about foods/quantities/reactions/timing of them... AND.. to find well-trained knowledgeable physicians who listen well, related well to a young child, continue to educate themselves, and who have no qualms admitting what they don't know or understand themselves....

and, finally (whew) cut yourself some slack!! it is all very new, and there's a lot to learn....i think it's great that you're trying to learn & do as much as you can...and it does get much easier. i DO police everything that goes in her mouth...and it hasn't stopped us from eating out, going to parties, & she's in daycare to boot (course i've also learned to always carry food she can eat so that we're never stuck anywhere w/o her being able to eat if she's hungry).....and, my local grocery store & health food store managers recognize us on sight & let us know about new products, now.

sounds like you're doing all the right & reasonable things.....!!! good luck...marla

btw, my/dana's personal favorites: just about any tofutti product (not a favorite for some who're very health-conscious i know bc of some of the fats in them, but GREAT taste & variety) ¯ tofutti cuties (icecream sandwiches), tofutti pint ice cream, tofutti pizza (really not bad), & cream cheese & sour cream i use for baking. ALSO, van's blueberry waffles....soymage american cheese slices (one of the few brands that's casein-free. can't melt the stuff w/ a blow torch, but dana likes it).

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Georgia State University
Atlanta, GA  30303