NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rose Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:42:17 EDT
My son has been eating the Mozzarella style "cheese" from Tofutti with no
problems so far. He didn't care for the American-style slices.
However, I wanted to comment on your assumption that products marked Parve
would be free of contamination issues.
I'd like to believe that is true, but it's not entirely accurate. My
experiences have taught me that there is no guarantee.
We rely heavily on Parve products, but I still am ready for a reaction
regardless. Recently, we tried a local brand of whipped topping in a can
(like Redi-Whip). One brand was marked K-D, the "lactose-free" style was
marked K-Parve.
We tried just a teaspoon first -- it made me nervous to give Corey anything
that looked just like real whipped cream. And he was fine with it - no
reaction at all. A little later in the day, we tried a little on some
chocolate Tofutti and within 20 minutes he was complaining of a funny feeling
in the back of his throat. Then his eyes started getting itchy. I gave him
Benadryl, praying all the while that it wouldn't progress and if it did, that
I would use the Epi properly. But his reaction subsided gradually and he had
those purple shiners under his eyes for a few days. So, I'm assuming it was a
trace exposure to milk.
I called the company and eventually was hooked up with someone who was
familiar with the manufacturing of the product. They said the product is
indeed made on the same equipment as the milk-containing whipped topping, but
the equipment is cleaned according to rabbinical standards, which is how they
can mark it parve.
I remarked that I hoped they didn't think that was a guarantee that it was
safe for someone like my son with a severe milk allergy. And I found the
Parve labeling misleading. But she just apologized for our experience and
insisted they've never had a problem with the product.
I will be writing a letter of complaint to the company, as well as the Kosher
agency that monitors its parve standards and copy that to the FAN.
Argh!
So, we just figure there's no real guarantee -- we just try our best to lower
the risk of exposure and we're prepared for an emergency.
But sometimes, we can't help but feel discouraged.

Rose (mom to Corey, 7, anaphylactic to milk, allergies to dust, mold and
several meds, asthma; and John, 15, allergic to penicillin, ceclor and yellow
jackets)