From:
Brian Zolo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Zolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:48:05 -0500
Hi, Jeff.  You're going to have better luck on VHF with respect to the Great
Lakes.  You'll want to scan from 156.275 to 157.425.  The main distress
frequency is channel 16 156.800, and the Coast Guard is quite active on
157.100, and 157.050.  The secondar distress frequency is 156.400 I believe.
That should help get you started.  Let me know if I can assist further as I
think I've got some other frequencies as well.  On UHF, there's an active
Coast Guard aircraft frequency which is 381.700.  I used to hear traffic
from Traver City Air station on 5692KHZ which is HF, but most traffic I've
heard has been VHF traffic.  We have relatives that are about 20 miles from
Lake Erie up east of Cleveland so that's where I've heard lots of traffic,
and we used to live in northwestern Ohio and I had a good outside scanner
antenna so I could really hear lots of traffic from Lake Michigan as well.
Take care.  Brian Zolo