Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:52:40 -0400
Hi:

Those Socket 5 usually house the hotter running Pentium 60-120 CPUs. Tape
should work okay if the motherboard is mounted horizontally (desktop case)
and you do not move the case.

There are also older heat sinks with clips that latched onto the edges of
the CPUs themselves. Also, you may even find an old Socket 5 or P54c
motherboard selling for $10 in a remainder bin; as cheap as a heat sink/fan.

Finally, you may be able to bend your current heat sink clip to hook under
the bottom of the ZIF socket (steer clear of any conductive contacts). But
using a heat-transferring, adhesive compound sounds like the cheapest fix.

Good luck.

John Chin

At 04:13 AM 10/07/2001 Dave Gillett wrote:
>  Someone else has suggested superglue, but there's a better choice
>out there:
>  You may have to hunt for it, but what you want is two-sided tape
>with high thermal conductance.  It does exist, and in fact some of
>the cheaper heat sinks come with a piece of it already on the
>underside instead of using the tabs.
>
>  You haven't told us the speed of your CPU.  Many DX CPUs ran fine
>without any extra cooling (the 486DX50 being the notable exception),
>but a DX2 should have a heat sink and a DX4 *definitely* needs one.
>

>On 6 Oct 2001, at 16:52, Kevin Scott wrote:
>
>> Hello,  I have a AT motherboard with a socket 5 cpu intalled. On
>> the socket itself it has two tabs for the heatsink to mount on an
>> connect too. Well, one of the tabs broke off while disconnecting
>> the heatsink.  Now I cannot connect the heatsink to the socket,
>> because one of the tabs has broken off.  What can I do to protect
>> my cpu from overheating since my heatsink will not mount to socket.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>