EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patrick Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:17:07 -0700
At 06:54 AM 10/2/2002, Schneider, Katherine S. wrote:

>Has anybody done any work on accessibility of tables on webpages, as in
>standards or guidelines?  I know 508 and w3c mention them, but they don't
>seem to provide much concrete guidance.  Kathie

Here are two examples:

The "cups of coffee" table from the WCAG Techniques document shows some
standard markup:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#data-tables

The "Tables Challenge" page from the "Jaws HTML Challenge" uses table
markup to display the Jaws table navigation keys. If you display the source
you'll have some markup examples to follow:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/hTML_challenge/files/tables_challenge.html

The larger HTML Challenge presentation begins at:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/HTML_challenge/html_challenge.html

Interestingly, we just got a HandyTech Braille Wave display for our lab, &
it has row & column indicators pop up as I navigate a table (r2c7, r3c1,
etc., at the left side of the display. This is using Jaws 4.5. Do any other
Braille displays do this? I haven't run across it before.

Patrick