From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 13:34:00 UTC

It's my opinion that feeding wheat early does agravate problems of
intolerance.  Past messages have authorities on celiac's disease stating
that it requires (1) genetic predisposition and (2) some trigger
mechanism.  Feeding wheat before the digestive system is ready to handle
it would certainly seem to be a trigger.

My son was an eager eater from about 5 months and I not only let him
snatch breadrolls at restaurant tables, but occasionally he ate my
homemade wholewheat bread from about 9 months on, and graham crackers,
too.  He may not be a celiac (as yet undetermined) but he certainly is
wheat intolerant.

Re: teething biscuits, my daughter Miri chewed on whole liquorice root,
which is obtainable at some healthfood stores. (This is a favorite of her
father's.)

To Janet Thomas:  I've recently tried making the crepes in B.Hagman's
first cookbook.  These can be made in big batches and frozen, take only a
few seconds to thaw in the pan they were cooked in, and then can be
spread with pb&j, creamcheese, or rolled around whatever you have.  They
hold up better than bread in a lunchbox.  They can be toothpicked and
sliced into whirls...  just one idea for your child's lunchbox.

Linda Blanchard