RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:04:10 -0700
Hi, Anwar -

My understanding is that you have a pretty good chance of getting yogurt if
you just let your raw milk sit and sour on its own, because there are
appropriate bugs floating around in the air (and/or may be in the milk
already) but that it doesn't work with pasteurized milk.  It seems that the
friendly, yogurt-making bugs don't like pasteurized milk.  But rather than
trust nature completely, I like to nudge the odds in my favor; that's why I
use starter.

Most yogurt recipes do say to boil and many say to add nonfat dry milk for
thickening, but I figured I'd try making it as simply as possible.  I've
been pleasantly surprised with the results.  My raw yogurt was scrumptious
and thick (though not Jello-like, as some commercial yogurts tend to be).
Please see my post in reply to Erin for more details.

Carol

http://explorer=