AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Senge, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:15:57 -0800
Leah,

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend running ZoomText Xtra Level 1
or 2 with JAWS.  Besides the sound card conflict between ZoomText Xtra Level
2 and JAWS, there are many keyboard conflicts between JAWS and both ZoomText
Xtra products.  By this I mean, both ZoomText and JAWS want to use the same
keys to do different things.  While you can re-map the keyboard to try and
get around these key conflicts, you are left with some very non-standard
controls for JAWS and ZoomText.  By my way of thinking, an adapted library
computer should be as standard as possible so persons who know how to run
the adaptive software have a fighting chance of getting their work done.

At my university, we have both ZoomText Xtra Level 2 and JAWS 3.5 on our
accessible workstations but don't recommend running them together.  If run
independently, they both work fine.  When I evaluate and train people who
use these two programs, I always try to get those who need both speech and
extreme magnification to use JAWS alone.  Likewise, for those who use less
magnification but like a little help from some speech to use ZoomText Xtra
Level 2.

Another thing to consider is using ZoomText Xtra Level 2 without the speech
features, effectively making it like Level 1.  Another option if both speech
and magnification are needed together is the MAGic screen magnification
program from Henter-Joyce.  Finally, some individuals I work with who want
speech and minimal magnification use a 21 inch monitor with the Windows
Accessibility High Contrast display option enabled along with JAWS.  This
combo seems to work very well together.

I hope this helps you out...

Jeff Senge
Information & Computer Access Program