C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:12:29 -0800
Hi Kyle,

  I did a lot of research before developing a regimen of vits and herbs that
worked for me. I consulted with an herbalist and a homeopath who is also a
medical doctor and also communicated with several companies that
manufacture/process these vitamins and herbs to ensure a level of quality
that satisfied me. I've been "doctor drug" free for over 15 years now and
suffer no ill-effects since going herbal. My range of motion re:
bending/moving/toe touching is markedly improved. I have almost 0 spasticity
and minimal cp-related startling reflex. I take less than the dosage
recommended on the bottles, gauging by my weight. I've been told that some
companies recommend 2-3 tablets/capsules of this or that, 3-4 times a day. I
take only once a day. I'm convinced, in some cases, companies are simply in
the business to make money; the more one uses, the more they'll buy. On those
rare occasions when I take doctor drugs, it's usually tetracycline for deep
bone pain; 2 courses a year, typically. Sometimes a third, depending on how
dem bonz feel.

  Also, I let good sense prevail and focus a big part of my healthy lifestyle
on my diet. After all, we are what we eat. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and
veggies, a lot of fish, and I drink a lot of water. I eat very, very little
fried food. Most of the things I prepare are either slow cooked, rotisseried,
baked or broiled :) I eat very little junk/fast food - here in the boonies,
if I want fast food, I have to make it quickly myself :)

  Most of the vitamins and minerals are found naturally in food, as we all
know, so it's really a matter of making smart choices :)

  I get sufficient daily exercise just doing housework. Swimming would be
ideal if I weren't terrified of water (near drowning as a child). But for
those of you have access, I strongly encourage getting involved in a swim
program. Arrange to have the pool water temp increased to ensure your comfort
level. As I might have mentioned before, some might benefit from a return to
a formal physical therapy regimen ... something that includes passive
exercises to maintain range of motion. Even weekly massage will help, and can
very often be justified via health insurance if ordered by a doctor as a tool
to improve health quality as you age with cerebral palsy.

  If you do a web search for "benefits of magnesium", you'll see that just
that one mineral alone is very important to one's overall health. And the C,
being a natural anti-inflammatory will reduce spasticity while dealing with
inflammation, which in turn will reduce pain.

  As a test for yourself, go to the drug store and get a bottle of magnesium
oxide, a bottle of Vit C (500mg - 2 daily), and a high-end multi-vit. Take
them for a month and see what happens. Tweaking your diet will reap benefits,
too. Get back to me with results, k? :)

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier