From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 23:29:59 -0400
Hi, Lou K2LKK here.

I have owned two Kenwood TR7625's.  I do believe that they use solid state
TR switching.  As for frequency selection, it was done by choosing the NHz
range from a four position switch.  Two concentric knobs set the 100khz and
10 khz digits (the outer one set the 100khz digit, the inner one set the 10
Khz digit) and a two position switch set either 0 or 5 khz digit.  A four
position switch was used to set the offset, providing -600, simplex, +600,
and Memory.  the Memory position allowed you to use whatever frequency was
stored in the memory as your transmit frequency, thereby making odd splits
possible.

If you do not have usable vision, the 100 Khz and 10 khz knobs might be a
little challenging.  Since they rotate around indefinitely in either
direction, it is difficult for a blind person to establish a reference
point.  You might wish to mark the 0's on these controls with something
like a little Hi-mark to establish a reference point.  Once you get used to
this scheme, you can change frequencies very quickly.

If it is available with the radio, the RM-76 microprocessor control unit
would be worth having too.  It connects to the back of the TR-7625 and
makes it possible to enter frequencies from a keypad.  It also adds 6
memories, instead of just one memory, and provides scanning functions.

What you may find most difficult to work with for packet is the five pin
microphone connector that they used--they are not the easiest things to find.

Hope that this helps.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]