David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:10:22 +0100
Hello

Packet can be paralleled to the Internet inso far that you need a box
between the computer and disseminating medium.
In the case of the packet network it is a radio transceiver, whereas
with the Internet it is the telephone network.

So, you need a PC with the necessary

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Ryan McManomy
software on it.
Either an on board card or external TNC (terminal node controller) which
plugs into a serial port.
From this you need relevant connections to a RIG WHICH WILL TRANSMIT AND
RECEIVE ON the band on which is your packet network.
These connections are for audio from rig to TNC.
PTT line from TNC to rig.
Microphone connection into your rig.
Some rigs have special packet sockets on them already.

The sofware is another issue.  I would appreciate comments from anyone
on the list regarding some which works in Windows  95/98.  I still use
Paket 6 on an old DOS machine - it does the job fine in my shack.

73 de Dave g3yxx

<[log in to unmask]> wri

--
David