From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:58:47 -0500
I am currently engaged in discussions with Elecraft regarding the usability
of their k2 tranceiver.  For those of you not familiar with this rig, it is
a kit rig features as follows:

80 through 10 meters cw
15 watts output
rit and xit control
digital microprocessor control
numeric keypad for direct frequency entry
built-in keyer with provision for normal, and reverse paddles
streight key setting
cw message memories
10 freq/mode memories
and more.

The following options can be added.

SSB adaptor
internal 2.9 AH jell cell battery
automatic antenna tuner
noise blanker
computer control module
100 watt power amplifier
160 meter option
and more I can't remember.

I have sent a list of suggestions for firmware upgrades to enhance
accessibility for the blind.  They seem very interested, and have asked me
to prioritize my suggestions and note features which could be done without
to make room in the current firmware package for the accessibility features.

I will be sending them the updated and prioritized list within the next
week.  We will see what happens.  As soon as I get their permission, I will
begin posting our discussions to this list.

I think we have a good opportunity here to influence the accessibility of
what many consider the "gold standard" in qrp rigs.

I will keep the list posted on my progress, and probably will be asking for
further suggestions and comments as the project progresses.
I have already informed elecraft that I will purchase a k2 if we can get
some of the ideas implemented.

For more information on the k2, and k1 (cw only and only four bands) go to

http://www.elecraft.com

Their manual is available as a pdf, and I have a mostly edited text version.

Hope this gives all of you some hope and something to look forward too.

Get the manual and start thinking.  I will soon need your suggestions and
comments.

I promise I'll keep you posted.

Gary Lee
kb9zuv