From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 07:27:40 +0100
Hello Kevin

This is really a superb bit of software.

In its simplest form it will work fine, but it has something like 200
configuration lines which can be put in either a standard configuration
file or one specific to the particular contest or shack application.

It is not designed to run on windows, although a lot of people do use it
under all windows platforms.

It is written for DOS and I use it on an old 386 25 MHz in my shack with
4 serial ports, and 3 parallel ports for controlling rig, packet, keying
and more.  It can easily be networked through several PC's by daisy
chaining in a ring, with pins 2/3 reversed from one machine to another.

For access, I use either a navigator 40 or a power Braille 40 with the
old gateway/track software and find it most accessible.

As an aside, the power Braille is more RF sensitive.

The program is very well supported by the writer (N6TR - Tree), George
freeman who writes the manual (N5TR) - but unfortunately this is in PDF,
and the guy who currently writes the updates, KK1L.

In 1999 Tree rewrote the BIOS calls as they confused speech access
programs following an interchange with me.  I don't use it with speech
in contesting situations as both my ears are full of signals from two
VFO's but use speech for setting up the program and refining its
configuration.

Additionally, their is a very active dedicated reflector.

I have used it now for 4 years - and will be again this weekend in the
U.K. VHF/UHF Field Day on 50MHZ.

I have used it with JAWS when operating EA8/G3YXX but haven't found it
very accessible on this platform.

It is a superb bit of software but like so much radio software it works
a lot better on a DOS platform, and in a contest, DOS is a lot more
stable, and if it should crash it only takes a few seconds to re boot,
rather than the minutes of WINDOWS!

Interestingly, their has been a discussion on the Super Duper log
reflector recently about Windows and DOS and the consensus is that DOS
is far superior for contesting and radio applications in general, and
that is from sighted hams!

It is certainly worth persisting with it in DOS.

If you need any further help please shout as I know the program very
well.

73 de g3yxx

I think you wrote  below <[log in to unmask]>,
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi All,
>
>Has anyone on this list used this program who uses speech?  I have tried it
>with ASAP and in a dos window with JFW and in either case, I get dumped out
>back into dos using the freeware version.  Any idea why this is happening or
>how accessible this program really is?
>
>Thanks and 73.
>Kevin, K7RX :)

David W Wood