From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:14:15 -0400
If a Tech Plus has received that license before April 15, 2000, all
that that licensee need do is pass the General (element 3) written
test. The code credit is, naturally, still good. If a Tech got his (or
her) license before I think March 21, 1987, that licensee must only
provide proof of that licensing date to a VE team, do the appropriate
paperwork, and will get an upgrade to general, since the written tests
for the two at that time were the same.

Where it gets confusing--and stupid--is when it comes to Technicians
who passed the code test after April 15, 2000. This is just so like
the federal government and makes abso-freakin-lutely no sense. Here
goes. *Deep breath*

Once a Tech passes the 5 WPM code test (element 1) after April 15,
2000, that licensee has the Novice HF privileges in addition to
everything above 50 MHz. These privileges are good
forever--technically, the licensee should probably keep a copy of the
CSCE that proves that the element was passed, but there is no update
of license class (I don't think) at the FCC...so they're called
something silly like Technician with HF privileges. Anyway, while the
privileges are good forever, (or at least for as long as the license
is renewed), the upgrade credit is not. The credit for passing the
code test, as with any other element, expires one year after the test
is taken--if, as I said, the test is taken after restructuring. So,
even though a Technician with HF privileges has the operating
privileges, if the test is taken past the date the credit is good, the
code test must be re-taken. Mind you, this isn't true if the test was
taken *before* restructuring. Also, since if a license was held
previously and expired (I assume any license, but I think only Novice
is specified) one can get credit for the code test without taking it
over--if proof of the license can be had--this policy really doesn't
make any sense.

So--are you confused yet?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3  | I choose you to take up all of my time.
Email: [log in to unmask] | I choose you because you're funny and kind