From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:03:17 -0400
Hi Clarence,

I have an IC706 mark 2 and one thing that I like about it is
that if you have the voice synthesizer module, it will give
you the s meter reading in addition to frequency once you
turn that feature on in the menus.

The menus do not speak at all and you'll need sighted help
to set them.  Same goes for mike gain, power level, and
carrier offset.  Though it could be done, I would not like
to operate the rig unless I had an external keypad so that I
could directly enter frequencies.  Luckily, I already owned
a stone mountain keypad.  I don't believe that that pad is
still being made, but another guy is now making keypads for
the Icom rigs, but I don't have his info to pass along to
you.

The IC706 is a good mobile or portable rig, but I would not
use it as my primary rig.  its bandwidth is a little narrow
on ssb and there is a little filter bleed threw with really
strong signals.

Hope that helps!

Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]