From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:48:42 -0400
I'd like to pick the brains of the multitude.

I'm using an Alpha Delta coax switch for HF antennas.  It groundds all
unused ports and if set to the center position grounds all ports.  Also has
a replaceable discharge unit.

My question:  Should I ground this switch to the cold water pipe where it
enters into the house, a distance of 10 feet and where my stations RF ground
is also connected?  This is how it is set up right now.

Or:

Should I ground the coax switch at the point where the coax enters the house
just outside the foundation wall?  At this entry point there is a coax
grounding unit connected to a 8 ft ground rod.  I could run a heavy gauge
wire from the coax switch in the shack back to this entry point and connect
to the same ground rod.  Distance is about 35 feet.

I can think of pros and cons for each choice.  Any opinions?

Also, I make a habit of disconnecting coax when station is not in use or
when bad wx comes up.  Saved me a bundle once when lightning hit my tri
bander.  Only 1 blown trap no damage to rig.

Tnx de Steve KW3A near Philly.