From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:00:06 +0000
Hello all

I have a th5 at 45 feet and generally have no problem finding its
direction by a simple method - peaking the station which I want to work.

Further, if the band is open the change in noise level is a good
indicator, particularly on 10 M.

If I want to point to a given direction and I don't currently know the
direction, I wind it totally to the end stop one way or the other, then
time the rotation.  As 360 degrees takes a minute, then very simple to
convert seconds into degrees.

This method is, of course, not very satisfactory, but I can see two
solutions.

1.  The feed back from the rotator to the control unit has three lines,
earth, left and right (clockwise or anti clockwise).  If a VCO is placed
across these then no problem converting to direction with a bit of
calibration.

2.  Their are some parallel port driven antennas which you can drive
from some logging software - one of these is a modern solution.

73 de G3YXX

I think you wrote  below <[log in to unmask]>,
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]> writes

--
David W Wood