From:
Henry Brugsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Brugsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:13:30 +0100
Hi Peter, welcome aboard, just wanted to jump in here say hi from
Kidderminster, not that far away.
Here we go...
Back in 1958, I got my novice. I was exactly 15, tapping on 16, since my
16th was a month away. Did I get the math right?
But, it was a bit different, then.
No computers,no digital readouts,very little commercial gear.
That which was available was perhaps some what better built, but not much
than what a good ham could achieve.
My first rig was a Globe chief 90-a, which ran 90 watts of cw,and if you
could afford the cost, a.m.with a screen modulator.
The receiver was what ever you could find. I came up with a second-hand
nc-109 which was a great receiver, accept, the dial cord kept breaking which
meant a repair job.
I learned dial cord stringing after a while.
All the best to you in what you are doing, and have fun with it.
Enjoy the new, don'tlook back, and don't pay any attention to us old farts
going on about the good old days, when the word was the great espre in the
hobby.
And, just another thought to your messages. If you can work out how to get
your mail program to do plain text messages, instead of html, it will make
it a lot easier for some of us to read your posts, which will be greatly
appreciated.
all the best
73
--