Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:46:03 -0700
MMM ... I heard one (the Bandmaster) that sounded quite good on 10-meter
a.m.  Think you had to have just the right mic for it.  There was an audio
gain pot accessible via screwdriver, I think, on the back.

Re those Heath twins I was trying to think of -- the CW/AM ones that went
mobile.  The receiver was the Cheyenne, I think, and the transmitter was
the Commanchee.  There may have been a Navajo as well but think I've
finally got it right this time -- Cyenne/Commanchee.  This was all long
before the movement to get native American names out of things.

Too bad manufacturers didn't name xmtrs after women -- just think of the
flap there'd be now if we talked about operating our Dzha Dzha's or our
Mae West's.

Hey wait a minute -- there *was* an emergency hand-cranked CW transmitter
-- sent out an automatic SOS on 500 kHz for life-rafts during WW@, called
the "Gibson Girl".  I saw one in working order once.  You hoisted the
antenna on a kite or balloon.  How a famished dude could crank that thing
after 14 days adrift, I'll never know.  Guess one will do most anything if
one is sufficiently desperate.

Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Amateur Radio: < K 7 U I J >