Steven Walley <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:49:06 -0700
Last month I also couldn't get Win 98 to install
with a new motherboard. But Win 95 would install, so
after Win 95 was installed, I used the Win 98 Upgrade
CDROM.

That method did get Win 98 on the computer, although it
did take two steps.

You could try something like that.

Steven Walley

----         Diana Benoit <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hard drive is brand new and I've used the OS disk before very successfully
> -- not a mark on it.  All the drives are new.  I know I didn't include
> them in the original list of what's on the system (it was well after
> midnight when I wrote) but I have a 40g hard drive, CD-ROM and CD-RW
> also in the system.  Anyway, it is a genuine MS copy.  I do have Win
> 2000, but have never used it and was hoping to
> set up my new system with what I know and go from there.  Might just
> have to go with Win 2000.  Thanks.
>
> joseph marty wrote:
>
> > If I were having trouble installing the OS, first thing I'd look
> at is the copy of the OS, then the drive.  Can you borrow a clean hard
> drive to see if your CD will install Win 98 SE on it?  Do you have
> a real, genuine MS copy of Win 98 SE, or did someone burn a CD copy?
>  A few days ago a lister had problems installing Win 2K, but could
> install Win 98.  Turned out he had a bad copy of Win 2K.
> >
> > Just finished putting together my third system and have run into
> something that
> > >never happened to me before.  My system is as follows:
> > >
> > >Pentium III Intel Celeron 1000MB

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com