From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:03:43 +0930
"Barbara Sheppard [log in to unmask]" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> >To the best of my knowledge, preservative free bacon is simply not
> >available locally, so I am hoping that soaking will be a significant step
> >to "paleoizing" :)  the bacon.
>
> Barossa Fine Foods in Salisbury sell organic bacon that is nitrite- and
> sugar-free. I can buy it at a couple of places locally in Stirling, and BFF
> also have a stall in the Central Market that would probably have it.

Ta!  I still have a lot to learn about what is available locally. :)

> The ingredients for the bacon are:
> pork, salt, emulsifier (?450), spices, water added.

My MIMS lists the following items as "450".

450 - Potassium metaphosphate
450 - Potassium polymetaphosphate
450 - Potassium pyrophosphate
450 - Potassium tripolyphosphate
450 - Sodium acid pyrophosphate
450 - Sodium metaphosphate, insoluble
450 - Sodium polyphosphates, glassy
450 - Sodium pyrophosphate
450 - Sodium tripolyphosphate

> It still contains some undesirable ingredients, but I think it's probably
> better than the regular stuff.

Agreed.

Jim.