BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Married? Yes, I was married - a house, a wife, kids -- the whole catastrophe." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:00:24 EST
Alright, boys and girls, it's time to play "Stump the Chumps again:

We have a (genuine official NYC Landmark) building in Midtown Minhattin with a somewhat (in my experience, anyway) unusual lead problem, to wit, as follows, hencely thus, etc:

Analysis was done on paint samples taken from the bldg, which was rehabbed about 10 years ago, and found lead in cornice paint.  I just went for a ride this morning and found that the cornice paint is in fact well adhered--but it's adhered to lead coated copper.  There are also (painted, but peeling) lead-coated copper spandrel panels at one of the upper floor levels.

The question is, how do I address the preparation for paint of historic substrate material which in itself is toxic, which can't be abated, and which isn't doing anybody any harm except when it's being prepped for paint which it desperately needs?

Your woids of wisdom, poils of sagacity, etc. shall be much appreciated.

Ralph