AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donavan Vicha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:26:53 -0500
I don't know. I'm going to forward to a few of our authorities on these
matters. Norm, don't be surprised if I Skype you sometime next week!

Donavan

>>> Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]> 09/01/06 11:16 AM >>>
Oh.   Dick and I use skype 2-3 times a day to talk.

Do librarians have any experience on accessibility of wickies or
blogs.
Norm
At 08:09 AM 9/1/2006, you wrote:
>Hi, Norm! I found this message of great interest as we at ALA have
been
>forced to
>recognize that the social-ware of blogs and wikis is indeed not a fad
>but significant trend
>that we need to heed in order to reach younger librarians to whom the
>Internet is the means
>by which they network with each other and solve information problems.
>Another part of this
>trend has been the use of instant messaging (IM).
>
>My son has been in the Army a year and we've done a lot of
>communication via his laptop,
>especially since he has been stationed in Germany where his old
>cellphone service is not
>operational. IM has evolved into using microphones and video cameras
so
>that one can pretty
>much talk and view someone else. Have you tried Skype yet? A free
>service, Skype lets you
>call PC to PC for free, or PC to phone, which involves a fee. I'd be
>curious to see if this service
>is accessible and would love the chance to talk to you again--I
>remember our Chatterbox
>experience several years ago.
>
>The url is http://www.skype.com
>
>Donavan

>I am looking for help.
>
>Frankly, I had thought of blogs and also wickies as so much teen-age
>kibitzing.  Now, I am picking up clear messages that not only k-12
>schools
>but a number of colleges and universities are integrating them into
>courses
>in a big way.  I was wrong again!  It seems I need to both change my
>mind
>and to learn about them.
>I am looking for someone who is at a school actively using them to
talk
>me about what they are doing and how they work.  I also really need
any

>help in learning the accessibility issues of both wickies and of
>blogs.
>How do they work with screen reader software?
>How do they work with screen mag software?
>Do they work using keystrokes or do the require a mouse?
>How do they work for students with learning disabilities?
>
>I hope there are at least a handful of people who I can talk to and
>learn from.
>
>If you reply to this discussion list, please also copy me directly as
>the
>list mail frequently gets trapped in one of my folders.
>Norm Coombs
>
>Thank you.

>EASI Courses New and Revised:
>September: Barrier-free Information Technology:
>http://easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm
>
>4-part live Web conference series on Accessible Podcasting starting
> [...]