RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Jöst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:59:02 +0200
Hi,

Liza said:
>Just stumbled upon this little table of food values for, well, bugs.
>Some of us on this list find these scrumptious (or some who *used* to be
>on the list ... it's so quiet these days I don't know who's lurking back
>there in the shadows anymore, munching happily away on their fluttering
>flapping buzzing meals .....

You are the least to introduce fluttering meals into your nutrition
AFAIK but let's have a look at the table you provided:

>Giant Water Beetle

If this isn't a new variety of Volkswagen Beetle I don't know it. :-)

>Red Ant

Tastes a bit sour and strictly spoken may not be eaten at least
here in Germany because the law says it's protected. OTOH there
are lots of black ants and the difference in taste is minimal.

>Cricket

The name of an english sports game, right? ;-)

>Small Grasshopper

Tested them already. Nice.

>Caterpillar

Well this looks very much like a ton of steel and 4 giant wheels
on it. The whole thing being used for road construction. :-)
So I guess the iron contents is plain wrong in this case. ;-)

>Beef (Lean Ground)

Oops, some beetles seem to be veeeeery big, indeed. Guess the
table added this for comparison. Let's complete it:

Lean Beef
21,2g Protein
2,4g Fat
Only traces of carbohydrates
5mg Calcium
2mg Iron

Mackerel
18,7g
11,9g (that's why raw fooders like it so much)
0,0
12,0
1,0

And all of my numbers are meant for fresh, raw foods and per 100g
of an eatable portion.

Best raw regards,

Stefan